A few years ago, one of my good gal pals planned her very own wedding—with a huge assist from Pinterest. I remember walking into her parents’ beautifully landscaped backyard in Wisconsin for the wedding, and it looked like a dreamy Pinterest board had come to life.
My friend was way ahead of the photo booth trend, with one set up in a mini shed. Yard games were splayed out throughout the backyard, an idea she got from the social media site. She surprised her husband with an English golden retriever puppy, who walked down the aisle and posed next to a sign that said “Pick a seat, not a side.” (Again, h/t to Pinterest). And her guests went home with a s’mores kit with a Pinterest-perfect note that read, “Sending you s’more love.”
In a word, her wedding was swoon-worthy—and proof that Pinterest can help be the ultimate wedding planner.
Since so many brides-to-be are turning to Pinterest to help plan their wedding days, the social media site is able to zero in on the most popular wedding trends. Curious what trends you’ll see parading down the aisle this wedding season?
Here are seven trends to be on the lookout for in 2017, according to Pinterest (which might as well be part of the bridal party at this point!)
1. DIY Taco BarsThe trend: Taco ‘bout a party! Taco bars where guests can build their own masterpieces are pretty genius because you can delight both the herbivores and carnivores at your wedding. Dare we say that’s “nacho” average wedding dinner? We’ll stop with the cheesy puns. Dangit, we did it again. The Knot has a good discussion on whether taco bars are “tasty or tacky.” For the record, we’re on #TeamTasty!
Pinterest popularity: Year-over-year (YOY) searches for “taco weddings” has increased 134 percent .
2. Food And Cocktail PairingsThe trend: Instead of passing drinks and hors d’oeuvres around on separate trays, suggested food-and-beverage pairings are being served together. Some of the famous duos on Pinterest include sliders and craft beer pairings or oysters with sparkling wine. Just like the bride and groom, some food and drink pairings are soulmates.
Inspiration: Crispy oysters paired with mini Bloody Marys, courtesy of Peter Callahan, whose gallery of catering photos gives us major food envy. Another one of his genius pairings: caviar served on an edible cracker spoon with a shot of vodka.
Pinterest popularity: Searches for wedding food and cocktail pairings has increased 60 percent YOY .
3. Off-The-Shoulder Wedding DressesThe trend: A better alternative to cold feet? Cold shoulders! Wedding dresses baring the shoulders are a fashion hit with today’s brides.
Inspiration: A wedding gown designed by Watters that gives the off-the-shoulder illusion.
Pinterest popularity: Searches for off-the-shoulder wedding dresses have increased 158 percent YOY .
4. Drip CakesThe trend: Last year, naked cakes were trending at weddings. Sounds scandalous, right? But really, naked cakes meant cake without frosting. Consider those frosting-free cakes a palate cleanser for 2017. This year, drip cakes are, well, taking the cake. We gushed about the cake trend here . Essentially, it’s a cake that’s been frosted with added frosting or caramel gingerly dripping down the side.
Pinterest popularity: We’re foraging for the frosting on Pinterest! Searches for drip cakes have increased by a whopping 437 percent .
5. Outdoor Mountain DestinationsThe trend: Getting hitched? Head for the hills! And, more specifically, make your way to the Pacific Northwest. Hey, you could even honeymoon in one of these backcountry fire towers , starting at just $20 a night. But the views? They’re priceless.
Inspiration: Wedding Lovely offers up some great tips for planning a mountain wedding . (Or, of course, you could elope!)
Pinterest popularity: Searches on Pinterest for mountainside elopements increased by 109 percent year over year.
6. Blue SuitsThe trend: Grooms are finding themselves better suited in a brighter blue hue instead of the more traditional black or navy blue suits.
Inspiration: Check out the tale of this Williamsburg wedding on the Ruffled blog . The groom is wearing a blue suit. Bonus inspiration: The bride’s bouquet is tied with an Hermes scarf.
Pinterest popularity: Pinterest saw searches for blue groom suits up 90 percent over the last year.
7. New Zealand HoneymoonsThe trend: Move over, Caribbean beaches. New Zealand as a honeymoon destination, especially for adventurous couples, is booming. In New Zealand, honeymooners can fill up their itineraries with stunning hikes taking you to lakes and mountains.
Pinterest popularity: Pinterest has witnessed a
year-over-year increase in honeymoon planning in New Zealand.