Coronavirus

4:13 PM, Feb 27, 2020

Actions

MRLA denied restraining order that would have re-opened in-person dining service statewide

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WSYM.png
Posted at 4:00 PM, Nov 20, 2020
and last updated 2020-11-20 16:00:29-05

The Michigan Restaurant and Lodging Association's (MRLA) request for a temporary restraining order (TRO) was denied by judge Paul Maloney earlier this season.

This TRO would have lifted the 3-week ban of in-person dining in Michigan, which was issued by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) earlier this week.

"We were disappointed not to have received a temporary restraining order of the (M)DHHS Order this morning, as it means several more restaurant workers will be losing their jobs in the coming days as restaurants remain closed," the MRLA said in a media statement Friday morning. "We look forward to the opportunity to make our case in court on November 30 and remain hopeful for a positive outcome that more effectively balances risk and human toll across Michigan."

Robert Gordon, MDHHS director, released a statement Friday afternoon on the ruling.

“We appreciate today’s ruling," Gordon said. "Orders similar to this one have successfully stopped COVID surges in many other countries. That’s why public health experts support the approach, and we believe these targeted and temporary steps are needed to avoid overwhelmed hospitals and death counts like we saw in the spring. If all of us mask up and avoid indoor gatherings, we will not only save thousands of lives and protect our frontline health workers, but we’ll also be able to enjoy indoor restaurant dining without fear.”

This is an ongoing legal matter, as another hearing is set for Monday, Nov. 30 at 10 a.m.