The Mason Area Historical Society is again hosting a Home Tour featuring seven properties in the Mason area. The tour will be on Saturday, October 6, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Tickets are $15 per person and may be purchased at Ware’s Pharmacy, Bestsellers Bookstore, Maple Street Mall, Mason Antiques District, the Mason Area Chamber of Commerce Hometown USA Visitors Center, and the Mason Area Historical Museum.
“Many people start their tour at the Mason Area Historical Museum, which is at 200 E. Oak Street near downtown Mason,” says Doug Klein, vice-president of the Mason Area Historical Society. “Not only can people purchase a ticket there, it’s also a great way to get in the historical mood before going off to see the homes.”
The following homes and buildings in or near the City of Mason will be featured:
- While the ranch-style home at 2455 Aurelius Road with an “English Country Cottage” flair was built in the 1970s, the land surrounding it was settled in the mid-1800s by people from New York state. as was much of the Mason area.
- Built in 1880, the brick country farmhouse and three barns at 1298 S. Edgar Road were originally part of an 80-acre farm. Much has been done since 2006 to restore the home to its original beauty.
- Originally built in 1888, the house at 417 W. South Street has been home to six generations of the Shattuck family. 1n 1999, all the original woodwork, doorknobs, and registers, and household antiques were incorporated into an extensive renovation. Also located at the property a private military museum, which will be open to tour participants.
- One of Mason’s “painted ladies,” the turn-of-the-century Queen Anne Victorian at 414 W. Maple Street features a European fireplace with a unique tile hearth.
- Mason’s First Presbyterian Church at 131 E. Maple Street on the Ingham County Courthouse Square is over 100 years old. It has a Gothic style and was built with granite fieldstones brought in by farmers and cut on site.
- Originally built in the 1970s, the “Carpenter Gothic Style” home at 103 N. Jefferson Street has cedar shingles from the Depression era covering the original Dutch lap siding.
- The 1926 saltbox at 107 N. Jefferson Street is being restored using original hardware and many antique features. Located next to Sycamore Creek, the home provides a country feel right in the city.
All proceeds from this event benefit the Mason Area Historical Museum and the Pink School Museum, which are both owned and maintained by the Mason Area Historical Society, with the support of dedicated volunteers and the community. The Museum will be open for viewing during this event. Mason Area Historical Society publications and memberships will also be available. For more information contact the Museum at (517) 676-5974 or reach them through their www.masonmuseum.orgwebsite.
Source: Press Release