EAST LANSING, Mich. — Each Wednesday in July the bells of Beaumont Tower will ring with performances by carillonneurs from around the world and here in mid-Michigan. The 23rd Annual Muelder Carillon Seriespresents an excellent opportunity to film, photograph and get the reactions from local residents in one of the most beautiful locations on the Michigan State University campus.
Around the tower and near the MSU College of Music, the concerts will feature:
- Bernard Winsemius of Amsterdam, Netherlands (July 3);
- Gijsbert Kok of The Hague, Netherlands (July 10);
- Steven Karp of Vancouver, British Columbia (July 17);
- Ray McLellan, MSU carillonneur (July 24); and
- Sally Harwood of Williamston, Michigan (July 31).
These artists share their talent in concerts that begin at 6 p.m., rain or shine. Visitors can hear demonstrations, see the bells and tour Beaumont Tower after each concert.
Another opportunity for outdoor music on a summer day is the Music in the Garden Concert Series presented by the College of Music in partnership with the W.J. Beal Botanical Garden. This series presents four high quality music performances in Beal Garden followed immediately by interesting and informative garden tours.
The 2019 Music in the Garden Concert Series schedule includes:
- Spartan Student Jazz Ensemble (Tues., 6/25, 7-8 pm);
- Piano and Voice (Thur., 7/11, 7-8 pm);
- Harpist Belle Coty (Thur., 8/15, 7-8 pm);
- Modum Percussion Duo (Thur., 9/5, 6-7 p.m.).
The Music in the Garden series also includes the Eat at State Food Truck and MSU Dairy Store treats.
Also this summer presented by the MSU College of Music is a Duo Piano Recital, works for two pianos featuring music by composers from the United States who drew on Latin American themes, alongside the music of composers from Brazil, Argentina and Mexico. The event, with artists Sarkis Baltaian and Derek Kealii Polischuk, is on Saturday, June 29 is at 3:00 p.m. at Fairchild Theatre and is free and open to the public.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox.
Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.