Michigan State dropped the rubber match in its series against Penn State, falling 3-0 to the Nittany Lions on Sunday at Secchia Stadium.
PSU pitcher Bailey Parshall picked up the complete-game victory, scattering five hits, striking out four, and walking one. Behind her, Haley Vallejos was 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI, accounting for two of Penn State's seven hits on the day. Penn State's scoring all came in the first half of the game, plating one run in the second and two in the third inning.
went 2-for-3, accounting for two of MSU's five base hits.
also had base hits for the Spartans (11-18).
got her second start of the weekend and went 2.1 innings, striking out two and surrendering five base hits; she was spelled by
who put together 4.2 strong innings, surrendering just two hits and no runs.
The Spartans continue Big Ten play next weekend at Indiana. That series begins on Friday with a 6 pm game, followed by 2 pm games on both Saturday and Sunday.
- Jordan Watson came on in relief in the third inning, and surrendered just two base hits over 4.2 innings, walking two and striking out one.
- Melanie Baccay was 2-for-3 on the day,
STATS AND STORYLINES
- Penn State picked up the first run of the game in the top of the first. Livingston doubled to center with two outs, and an infield single by Polk allowed Livingston to come around to score. Polk got thrown out trying to steal second for the third out o f the inning.
- Penn State looked to add to its lead in the third. Claire Swedberg drew a leadoff walk, and Chelsea Bisi followed with a single. Ally Kurland moved the runners into scoring position with a groundout to first, and Haley Villejos singled up the middle to plate two runs for a 3-0 lead. MSU made a pitching change, bringing on Jordan Watson ; she retired the side with a ground ball to short and a K looking.
- Penn State threatened again in the fourth, loading the bases with two outs. A pair of walks and a bunt single had the Nittany Lions in position to add to their lead, but Watson got a ground ball to second to end the inning.
- Bailey Parshall kept the Spartan offense in check throughout the contest, scattering five hits throughout her complete-game outing.
- Jordan Watson threw a very efficient 4.2 innings, allowing just two base hits and striking out one and keeping the Spartans in the ballgame. Her 4.2 innnings pitched was one out shy of her season best 5.0 innings she went earlier this season against Boston College.