MACKINAC ISLAND, Mich. — Some of the biggest names in politics are back on Mackinac Island for the 2022 Mackinac Policy Conference.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg will be at the conference to discuss how the U.S. bipartisan infrastructure law is helping out in the state.
Wednesday, he met with Gov. Gretchen Whitmer for a press conference at 3:15 p.m. on how the infrastructure law is making investments in roads, bridges, and more.
During the event, Governor Whitmer signed an executive directive that will streamline permit procedures as it relates to Michigan's infrastructure.
The Michigan governor's office says this will help get projects done faster and within budget.
“In Michigan, we’re fixing the damn roads and bridges, repairing crumbling water infrastructure, and making progress on so many other infrastructure priorities from high-speed internet to parks and electric vehicle charging stations,” says Governor Whitmer. “Today’s executive directive will make our permitting process even more user-friendly, ensuring projects can get moving and be completed on time and on budget. Since I took office through the end of this year, we will fix over 16,000 lane miles of road and 1,200 bridges, supporting nearly 89,000 jobs. We’re fixing these roads and bridges with the right mix and materials, so they stay fixed. With today’s directive that increases transparency, boosts inter-departmental coordination, and speeds up the permitting process, I am confident that we can keep moving dirt to rebuild our infrastructure more effectively and efficiently than ever.”
“As we use President Biden’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to modernize America’s roads, bridges, rail, ports, and more, we will do so in partnership with leaders in Michigan like those I’m meeting at this conference," says U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg. "Together we are building a transportation system that will drive American economic success for generations.”
You can watch the biggest events from the conference below.
Watch Live - Main Stream:
Watch Live - Grand Pavilion Sessions:
Below is the schedule of events happening on Wednesday.
9 a.m. – Divided We Fall: Confronting the Perils of Polarization
- Speaker: Van Jones, Host, CNN; Founder, Dream Corps
- Panelists: Morela Hernandez, Ligia Ramirez de Reynolds Collegiate Professor of Public Policy, University of Michigan Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, Elissa Slotkin, U.S. Representative (D-MI 8)
- Moderator: Rip Rapson, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Kresge Foundation
9 a.m. – Meet the MEDC: A Conversation on Growing Michigan’s Talent Pipeline
- Speakers: Susan Corbin, Director, Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity
Kerry Ebersole Singh, Chief Talent Solutions and Engagement Officer
9:45 a.m. – Viewing and Conversation | Gradually, Then Suddenly: The Bankruptcy of Detroit
- Speaker: Sam Katz, Director and Producer
10:30 a.m. – Advancing Equitable Workplace Strategies for Michigan’s Success
- Panelists: Cheryl Bergman, Executive Director, Michigan Women’s Commission, Shana Lewis, Vice President of Talent Acquisition and Workforce Programs, Trinity Health, La June Montgomery Tabron, President and Chief Executive Officer, W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- Moderator: Candice Fortman, Executive Director, Outlier Media, Detroit
10:30 a.m. – The Vision of Youth: Engaging Gen Zin Future Building
- Panelists: Mohammad Muntakim, Member, The Skillman Foundation’s Youth Council, Logan Newman, Member, The Skillman Foundation’s Youth Council, Jeremiah Steen, Member, The Skillman Foundation’s Youth Council
- Moderator: Angelique Power, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Skillman Foundation
11 a.m. – Meet the MEDC: A Conversation on Michigan’s Journey to Economic Greatness
- Speaker: Quentin Messer Jr., Chief Executive Officer, Michigan Economic Development Corporation; President and Chair, Michigan Strategic Fund
11:45 a.m. – Conference Open
- Speakers: Sandy K. Baruah, President and Chief Executive Officer, Detroit Regional Chamber, Arn Tellem, Vice Chairman, Pistons Sports and Entertainment; Chair, 2022 Mackinac Policy Conference
12:15 p.m. – Gov. Gretchen Whitmer Welcome
12:30 p.m. – Keynote Address: Ted Koppel
1:15 p.m. – Keynote Address: Pete Buttigieg
1:50 p.m. Keynote Address: Jon Meacham
2:30 p.m. – Michigan’s Congressional Leaders: Civility is a Priority for Progress
- Panelists: Segment One: Gary Peters, U.S. Senator (D-MI), Debbie Stabenow, U.S. Senator (D-MI)
- Segment Two: Debbie Dingell, U.S. Representative (D-MI 12), Bill Huizenga, U.S. Representative (R-MI 2), Elissa Slotkin, U.S. Representative (D-MI 8)
- Moderator: Harold Ford Jr., Vice Chair, Corporate and Institutional Banking, PNC Bank