News

Actions

Woman killed husband sickened from CO poisoning

Posted: 12:13 PM, Feb 11, 2016
Updated: 2016-02-11 15:33:37-05

One woman was killed and her husband is in the hospital from possible carbon monoxide poisoning in Pleasant Ridge.

We're told police were called around 12:33 a.m. Thursday about a woman not breathing. When officers arrived, they began performing CPR until Ferndale firefighters arrived on scene.

Police say they performed CPR for around 30 minutes but were not successful.

Pleasant Ridge Police Chief Kevin Nowak said fire personnel detected an odor and took a reading which found elevated levels of carbon monoxide.

An autopsy performed on the woman confirmed she died from CO poisoning.

Consumers Energy is asking people to follow the tips below to know the symptoms of CO poisoning and how to find out if carbon monoxide is in your home.

  • Install audible carbon monoxide detector that meets or exceeds standards and will alarm is dangerous levels of CO are inside your home
  • Inspect your furnace annually and have it turned up by a qualified service professional
  • Change furnace air filters at least once every month
  • Perform a visual inspection of the chimney and vent pipes
  • Never use gas stoves or charcoal grills to heat homes
  • Never leave a supplemental heater or fireplace unattended
  • When using generators, be sure they were connected by a licensed electrician
  • Never leave snow blowers, power lawn equipment or generators running