(WXYZ) — Michigan free fishing weekend is returning for the winter next weekend. It runs Feb. 13 and 14, and all fishing license fees will be waived.
On top of that, a Michigan Recreation Passport will not be required for entry into Michigan State Parks and boating access sites during the weekend.
It's open to both residents and out-of-state visitors on both inland lakes and Great Lakes for all species of fish.
The DNR does have these safety tips to follow when ice fishing.
- Steer clear of dark spots or places where the snow looks discolored
- Never fish alone
- Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return
- Always test the ice with a spud (described later)
- Take the appropriate emergency items, such as a lifejacket and ice picks
- Take a cell phone with you in case you need to call for help
- Dress in your warmest winter clothes; fill a thermos with hot coffee, chocolate or tea; and bring an empty bucket or old lawn chair to sit on.