Dealing with flood aftermath? Here's a list of Michigan resources that can help

Posted at 2:42 PM, Jun 28, 2021

(WXYZ) — If you're dealing with flood damage after the past few days of heavy rainfall, there are some Michigan resources that may be able to help.


Michigan State Police released a list of helpful links and contact information.

If you have questions regarding your insurance, the Department of Insurance and Financial Services is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 877-999-6442.

The Department of Insurance and Financial Services offered these tips for residents after the severe weather:

Michiganders impacted by flood waters or other storm damage should:

  • Contact their insurance company’s claims hotline and/or agent to report the claim. Have the policy number and other relevant information readily available. DIFS has prepared an Insurance Claims Tracking Sheet [] to make this process easier.
  • If there is water damage to a home or other structure, consumers should tell their insurance company that there is water damage and they are looking to determine what coverage is available. Consumers should not simply state that the damage is due to a flood as there may be additional causes for water damage, such as a sewer backup or failing sump pump, that may be covered under the policy.
  • Review insurance policies to understand their coverage. Flood damage is not covered by standard homeowners and renters insurance policies. There are certain insurance policies, including federal flood insurance [], that homeowners would need to purchase to have coverage for flooding or water and sewer back-up resulting from storms or other natural disasters. It is important to discuss these options with your insurance agent or your insurance company well before flooding or damage occurs. Keep in mind that coverage through the federal flood insurance program typically takes 30 days to go into effect.
  • Take steps to protect the property and prevent further loss. Be sure to keep receipts for any purchases of supplies that are needed to protect the property.
  • Document the loss. Take pictures or videos of the damaged items and do not get rid of the items until instructed to do so by the insurance company.
  • If there is water damage to a vehicle, consumers should contact their auto insurance company. They may have coverage for the damage if they carried comprehensive coverage on their auto policy.

The Michigan State Housing Development Authority can help provide disaster relief housing counseling. To find a counselor in your area, go here:

From the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services:

How to clean mold
Steps for Cleaning Mold by WXYZ-TV Channel 7 Detroit on Scribd

Drinking water testing

The Drinking Water Hotline is 844-934-1315, or you can call your local health department for more information about testing your water:

Information on potential relocation services can be found here.MI Bridges may also be able to help with needed services after a flood.

How to protect your home:

Floods and Your Home by WXYZ-TV Channel 7 Detroit on Scribd

The American Red Cross also has a list of resources that may be able to help you before, during and after a flood.If you need help now, contact your local Red Cross. Here is a link to the locator.

The United Way for Southeastern Michigan can also help answer questions and provide assistance as you're dealing with the flooding aftermath. Their 2-1-1 helpline is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. If you have issues dialing 2-1-1, you can call 1-800-552-1183.

For Dearborn residents, you can call 313-586-3181 for basic information and/or text 313-635-3900 to access the flood damage report form.