NewsNational News


Maryland shooter was diagnosed with mental illness yet was still able to legally buy gun

Posted at 11:46 AM, Sep 21, 2018

Officials are still left wondering why a 26-year-old woman went work and fired shots Thursday morning, killing three people and injuring three others.

During a news conference on Friday morning, Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler gave the press more details regarding the deadly workplace shooting in Aberdeen and released the names of the victims.

RELATED: 4 dead, includingfemaleshooter, 3 injured at Rite Aid distribution center in Aberdeen

Those killed on Thursday were Sunday Aguda, a 45-year-old man from Baltimore County, Brindra Giri, a 41-year-old woman from Baltimore County, and Hayleen Reyes, a 41-year-old woman from Baltimore City. 

The names of the victims who were shot, but survived their wounds are: Hassan Mitchell, a 19-year-old man from Harford County, Wilfredo Villegas, a 45-year-old man from Montgomery County, and Acharya Purna, a 45-year-old woman from New York. 

Gahler also released more information about the alleged shooter. He says at 6:30 a.m. Snochia Moseley went to work at the Rite Aid distribution center on Perryman Road. She entered through the front door, and then left the building for unknown reasons at 7:21 a.m. Before leaving there had been a spat about cutting in line. 

She then went back to her Baltimore County home, and then returned to the warehouse around 8:35 a.m. Gahler says he believes she went home to grab her Glock 9mm handgun, three magazines, handcuffs, and pepper spray, which were found on her after the shooting. Around 20 minutes later she went inside of the building. 

Then around 9:05 a.m., Moseley went back out of the building, pulls her hood over her head, and began shooting. One person was shot outside of the building and several other shots were fired, but nobody was hit. She then went into the building where around 65 people were working.

Gahler said that's when she fired 13 rounds, injuring 5 others before shooting herself two times. 

The first shot she aimed at herself only grazed her, so she shot herself another time in the head. That is what ultimately killed her.

She was taken to the hospital by an officer who didn't know she was the shooter, where she later died. 

Gahler said the shooter was diagnosed with a mental illness in 2016. Her family said she had been extremely agitated the last couple weeks and they were concerned. 

Gahler would not go into more detail about the specifics of her mental illness. 

The shooter had bought her gun legally, and Gahler said she was able to do because her mental health diagnosis didn't rise to a level to bar her from buying a gun. Because she had not been involuntarily committed and she did not have a propensity for violence to herself or others, she was able to legally buy the firearm in March of this year. 

In the past, the shooter had worked as a security officer, but her handgun permit expired in May of 2018. 

SEE ALSO: More information released on Aberdeen workplace shooter