A California man found out the hard way why it's not a good idea to smoke while filling up your car.
The unidentified victim was severely burned at a gas station in Prunedale, California after becoming engulfed in flames, according to Salinas's KSBW-TV . The man was reportedly smoking a cigarette while he filled up his gas tank at about 9 a.m. local time.
Investigators from the California Highway Patrol told KSBW the man tried to run as he was on fire and a passerby stopped to help him take off his burning clothes.
The burn victim had to be flown to an area hospital via helicopter, according to KSBW .
There were reportedly four other people in the man's car but their condition was unclear after the incident.
Clint Davis covers entertainment and trending news topics for the Scripps National Desk. Follow him on Twitter @MrClintDavis.