According to Mexican media, a teenager in Mexico City died in July from a stroke that is believed to have been caused, in part, by a hickey given to him by his girlfriend.
Reports indicate that Julio Macia Gonzalez, a 17-year-old from Mexico City, started having convulsions at the dinner table after hanging out with his girlfriend. It’s believed that the hickey formed a blood clot, which traveled to the teen’s brain.
The Mirror also reports that the boy’s girlfriend has disappeared, and Macia Gonzalez’s family is blaming her for their son’s death.
This isn’t the first time a love mark has led to health problems. In 2011 it was reported that a woman in New Zealand was partially paralyzed after a blood clot formed by a hickey traveled to her heart. The woman eventually made a full recovery.
Alex Hider is a writer for the E.W. Scripps National Desk. Follow him on Twitter @alexhider.