CINCINNATI -- Police announced two arrests in connection to the Cameo nightclub shooting.
Cornell Beckley, 27, and Deondre Davis, 29, are each facing a charge of murder in the shooting that left one man dead and 16 other people injured early Sunday, Police Chief Eliot Isaac said Thursday. More charges will likely be added, he said.
Authorities arrested Beckley Thursday afternoon, Isaac said. Davis was still in critical condition at University of Cincinnati Medical Center because of his gunshot wounds.
"It's good news of a very bad situation" Mayor John Cranley. "The worst mass shooting in the history of the city" @WCPO pic.twitter.com/JOpSQbU5P2
— T.J. Parker (@TJParkerWCPO) March 30, 2017
The incident started as an altercation in the club, then turned into a fight before it became a shootout, according to Isaac.
The chief said at least three guns made it into the club that night, and possibly more. Police recovered 16 shell casings at the scene, and there may have been even more shots fired.
There will likely be more arrests, though the majority of those shot were simply bystanders in the club, Isaac said. There was no indication that Spikes, the man who died, was a target.
Mayor John Cranley: Vast majority of victims were true victims. this is tragedy of epic proportions. #cameonightclub shooting @wcpo
— Tanya O'Rourke (@TanyaORourke) March 30, 2017
Beckley has previously served time for aggravated assault in 2008. Davis pleaded guilty to criminal damage a few weeks ago for damaging property inside an AT&T store over a billing dispute. He was given the option of a $200 fine or community service.
The investigation is still ongoing, Isaac said. Police were still conducting interviews and collecting evidence. It appeared that more people were involved in the shooting.
Davis' attorney has also scheduled a news conference. Watch live below: