News

Actions

MHS saves dog that swallowed coat hanger

Posted: 6:18 AM, Feb 23, 2016
Updated: 2016-02-23 09:55:46-05
MHS saves dog that swallowed coat hanger
MHS saves dog that swallowed coat hanger

A puppy will eat anything-- and we do mean anything.

Indy, a 6-month-old pit bull mix, suddenly stopped gaining weight. Her owner surrendered her to the Michigan Humane Society. 

When MHS investigated, they found out why she wasn't feeling well. Indy had eaten a coat hanger.

“You could actually feel a very long piece of metal or plastic inside of her,” said Dr. Amy Koppenhoefer, MHS veterinarian, in a press release. “We knew it was a foreign body, and we knew that we had to do surgery in order to save her life.”

Vets performed a life-saving surgery to remove an 8-inch piece of hanger from the dog's stomach. 

She is now recovering and MHS hopes to find her a loving home. 

*Warning: some images are graphic*