Fresh vegetables or a beautiful bouquet of flowers are always nice to have on your dinner table. There are many benefits to creating a raised bed, and so many material options to help match the décor of your yard.
Benefits of a raised bed
- Raises your plants to a more comfortable height, making it easier to plant, inspect and care for your plants.
- Gives you control over the nutrition of the soil.
- Allow you to plant earlier in the spring, because the sun is able to warm the bed faster than the ground around it.
- You’re able to prevent burrowing animals in a raised bed by installing a hardware cloth in the bottom.
- You are able to easily net or tent a raised bed to protect against pests, moisture and temperature issues.
- Protected from natural or human over watering with good drainage
- Concrete block
- Whisky barrels
- Many other creative options
Good soil is the single basic requirement for a successful growing season. It is important that you test your soils pH and cultivate your beds before planting. This will enhance the quality of your soil; develop strong productive plants with stable root systems.
Keep in mind that when you are planning where your raised bed will go that you don’t want your planter so big that you cannot reach across it from both sides.