DETROIT, Mich. — The weekend weather forecast is predicting several days of the coldest weather Michigan has had so far this winter season. With low temperatures like this, home heating equipment will be working overtime to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature which drives up energy usage.
While DTE continuously works to keep energy affordable by passing the actual cost for natural gas on to customers with no mark-up, we expect weather like this to drive higher energy use which in turn drives higher energy bills. Here are some low-cost tips to help people manage their natural gas use to keep costs down.
Energy saving tips
- Thermostat setting - Save energy in the winter by setting the thermostat to 68°F while you’re awake and lower while you’re asleep or away. You can save as much as 10% a year on heating and cooling by simply adjusting your thermostat 7°-10°F for 8 hours a day from its normal setting.
- Dress appropriately for the weather by pulling out those cozy socks and sweaters. On cold winter nights, put an extra blanket on the bed and lower your thermostat another degree or two to save even more.
- Keep the air flowing – Make sure rugs, drapes, or furniture are not blocking airflow from registers to improve efficiency and comfort.
- Close the Fireplace Damper – Keep your fireplace damper closed unless a fire is burning. Keeping the damper open is like keeping a window wide open during the winter allowing warm air to go right up the chimney.
- Install window sheeting – Low-cost, clear plastic window sheeting can be installed over leaking windows to keep cold air out. The plastic must be sealed tightly to the frame to help reduce infiltration.
- DTE offers several payment assistance programs, including a Winter Protection Plan, Shutoff Protection Plan, and payment relief for those experiencing medical emergencies and for active military personnel. For more information: http://dteenergy.com/assistance [dteenergy.com] or https://dteenergy.com/covid19 [dteenergy.com]
For more heating information: dteenergy.com/staywarm [dteenergy.com].
For more savings information: www.dteenergy.com/saveenergy [dteenergy.com]
Want to see more local news ? Visit the FOX47News Website.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox.
Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.