LEONI TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WSYM) -- Several pets were killed in an fire that destroyed a house Sunday morning in Leoni Township.
The Blackman-Leoni Township Department of Public Safety was dispatched to a fire at the house in the 400 block of Fifth Street around 10:45AM.
Arriving unites found heavy smoke coming from the residence. The fire was put out with the help of the Jackson Fire Department and the Summit Township Fire Department.
The owner of the house was not home at the time of the fire. The cause of the fire was determined to be the stove in the kitchen, which was being used to heat the house.
The homeowner is being assisted by the American Red Cross. The Leoni Township Building Inspector determined the residence was unsafe and it was then torn down. The Public Safety Department cleared the scene around 2PM.