News

Actions

Consumers closes gas leak, forced evacuations

Posted: 11:22 AM, Dec 31, 2015
Updated: 2015-12-31 11:54:38-05

(UPDATE 11:53 a.m.) Consumers Energy has closed the valve that was leaking. Stay with us for further updates.

-------------------------------

(UPDATE 11:42 a.m.) Several blocks around the intersection of Cedar Street and Isbell Streets were evacuated Thursday morning because of natural gas escaping in the area.

Consumers tells us, it happened at what is called a regulator station near the corner of Maplewood and Norman Streets in Lansing.

A Consumers Energy spokesman says the regulator is designed to vent gas into the atmosphere as a safety procedure, but they haven't identified the problem that caused it to vent.

About two dozen homes have been evacuated as a precaution.

Consumers crews are working on repairing the vent.

Cedar and Washington Streets have been reopened.

-----------------------------------

(Original Story) The area of Cedar Street & Isbell Street in Lansing is being evacuated due to a gas leak.

Drivers are urged to avoid the area for the time being.

Our crew is on the scene and is working to bring you further updates.