NewsLocal News

Actions

No injuries following Chippewa Middle School fire

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WSYM.png
Posted at 2:53 PM, Nov 19, 2019
and last updated 2019-11-19 14:53:09-05

LANSING, Mich. — A fire occurred Monday evening at Chippewa Middle School, but did not result in any injuries, smoke damage or cancellations of classes and extracurricular activities.

Meridian Township Fire Chief Mike Hamel said firefighters responded about 6:30 p.m. Monday to smoke alarms going off at the school and determined by 7 p.m. that a “small fire” was caused by a heating unit built into a wall near the school’s gymnasium.

Hamel said janitorial staff at the school, 400 Okemos Road in Okemos, put out the fire quickly with extinguishers before his crew arrived.

A preliminary investigation determined the heating unit’s motor malfunctioned, spun out of control and overheated, Hamel said.
Classes at the school were held as scheduled Tuesday.

Want to see more local news ? Visit the FOX47News Website.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android

and

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox.

Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook