LANSING, Mich. — Homecoming season is here and MSU will celebrate with a parade on Friday, September 27.
The parade starts at 6 p.m. Friday, at the Abbot-Burcham intersection and will travel down Abbot Road, then east on Grand River Avenue, south on Farm Lane via the Collingwood Entrance and end at the intersection of Farm and Shaw lanes.
The Spartans take on the Indiana Hoosiers at Spartan Stadium Saturday afternoon.
Kickoff is at 3:30 p.m.
Fans of MSU should line the parade route wearing Green and White gear.
The theme for this year's homecoming is "Spartans Inspire Success."
The Grand Marshal is is Susan Packard, who is the former HGTV chief operating officer, also an author and MSU alumna.
"Packard’s triumphs in media, written works and continued mentorship truly exemplifies what it means to inspire success," according to a release from MSU.
Community members can find additional MSU Homecoming information at alumni.msu.edu/traditions/homecoming/parade.
Due to the parade, there will be a few intersections closed off to traffic.
See the full list here:
Please note that some of the roadway re-opening times are approximate. Roadways will re-open once the last parade unit has passed through.:
• Abbot Road, between Oxford Road/Whitehills Drive and Burcham Drive, from 2:30-7 p.m.
• Abbot Road, between Burcham Drive and Grand River Avenue, from 5:30-7:15 p.m.
• Burcham Drive, between Old Hickory Lane and Abbot Road, from 3-7:15 p.m.
• Grand River Avenue, between Abbot Road and the Collingwood Drive entrance to the MSU campus, from 5:30-7:15 p.m.
These streets near the East Lansing Hannah Community Center will also be closed Friday, Sept. 27 for parade staging:
• Centerlawn Avenue, from Forest Street to Abbot Road, from 2:30-7 p.m.
• Evergreen Avenue, from Centerlawn Avenue to Northlawn Avenue, from 2:30-7 p.m.
• Forest Street, from Centerlawn Avenue to Northlawn Avenue, from 2:30-7 p.m.
• Fern Street, from Evergreen Avenue to Abbot Road, from 2:30-7 p.m.
• Northlawn Avenue, from Forest Street to Abbot Road, from 2:30-7 p.m.
City Closures: Please note that the East Lansing Hannah Community Center will close at noon on Sept. 27 and the parking lot will be used for parade staging. Additionally, the East Lansing Public Library will close at 3 p.m. on Sept. 27.
Other street closures and alternate routes: All roads southbound off Albert Avenue, between Durand Street and Abbot Road, will be closed to through traffic. Some roads leading to Abbot Road (Library Lane, Centerlawn Avenue and Northlawn Avenue) will also be closed to through traffic. Eastbound and westbound traffic should take Saginaw Highway. Northbound and southbound traffic should take either Harrison Road or Hagadorn Road.
Want to see more local news ? Visit the FOX47News Website.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox.
Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.