A settlement for Fint water-related civil lawsuits was sent to court Tuesday for preliminary approval.
Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel and Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced in August that a preliminary settlement had been reached, with the state then as the only defendant participating.
Since then, however, additional entities have agreed to resolve the lawsuits and provide Flint residents with more financial relief, a news release said Tuesday.
The City of Flint, McLaren Regional Medical Center and Rowe Professional Services Co have each agreed to settle the claims against them, bringing the total settlement to about $641.2 million.
Flint has conditionally agreed to contribute $20 million, with money being provided through its insurance provider instead of from its general fund or otherwise taken from taxpayers, assuming the Flint City Council approves the decision.
McLaren Regional Medical Center is providing $20 million and Rowe Professional Services is providing $1.25 million.
A public hearing will be held before Judge Judith Levy reviews the agreement.
If preliminary approval is granted, the claim registration process will begin, allowing Flint residents to indicate their intention to file a claim.
“Submitting this settlement for preliminary approval is part of the legal process, but it is also an important step forward in providing the residents of Flint with relief,” Nessel said. “Without this settlement, which makes affected children a top priority, Flint residents would have been provided little assurance that their claims would be successful in court, and ongoing litigation could have prolonged their hardships for years.”
The agreement requires that about 80 percent of the net settlement fund be spent on claims of children who were minors when first exposed to Flint River water.
Read the full settlement agreement here.