A fire that started in an area being used to store woodchips in southeastern Michigan has been smoldering for days.
Fire crews responded on Monday evening after large pile of woodchips caught fire in a gravel pit. No injuries were reported, but the fire caused widely visible smoke plumes.
Dexter Area Fire Chief Robert Smith tells The Ann Arbor News that the fire may have started due to spontaneous combustion. He said Thursday he's been checking on it a few times a day and it could smolder into Saturday.
The gravel pit is located near Dexter, about 40 miles (60 kilometers) east of Detroit.