MDOT is putting the brakes on dozens of road projects around the state to ease traffic delays during Memorial Day weekend.
Starting at 3 p.m. Friday and continuing until 6 a.m. Tuesday, 86 out of 123 projects statewide will have lane restrictions removed. While drivers will see suspended operations in most MDOT construction zones for the weekend, drivers are advised that equipment and certain traffic configurations, like temporary shifts or shoulder closures, may remain in place.
"While the Memorial Day weekend helps launch the busy summer travel season in Michigan, safety is always the top priority," said State Transportation Director Kirk T. Steudle. "Drivers need to remember to buckle up, eliminate distractions and use caution, especially when traveling through work zones. We want to make sure everyone gets to their destination and home safely."
The following is a list of work zones that will remain active or have lane restrictions during the Memorial Day weekend. If necessary, detour routes will be posted at the project location.
- M-94 in Manistique, Schoolcraft County, has a posted detour at US-2.
- US-41 in Hancock, Houghton County, has a posted detour for northbound traffic.
- US-41 in Ishpeming, Marquette County, has one lane open in each direction with a traffic shift between Third Street and Second Street.
Northern Lower Peninsula
- I-75 Business Loop/M-72 in Grayling, Crawford County, is closed at the AuSable River bridge. Detour posted.
- M-27, Cheboygan County, has northbound traffic detoured on I-75 and M-68.
- M-33, Cheboygan County, is closed between M-212 and M-27. Detour posted.
- US-23 in Cheboygan, Cheboygan County, has one lane open with a temporary traffic signal.
- Cascade Road in Grand Rapids has one lane closed over I-96 with a traffic shift.
- US-31, Muskegon County, has the southbound entrance and exit ramps at Pontaluna Road closed with a detour posted. The Pontaluna Road bridge over US-31 is closed as well.
- US-31, Ottawa County, has two lanes open in each direction between Ransom Street and Lakewood Boulevard with a traffic shift. The southbound US-31 entrance and exit ramps to I-196 Business Loop (Chicago Drive) are closed with a detour posted.
- US-131 in Grand Rapids has one southbound lane closed between Ann Street and Leonard Street. Also, the Ann Street ramp to southbound US-131 is closed, as well as the southbound US-131 exit ramp to Leonard Street.
- I-94, Berrien County, has one lane closed in each direction between Stevensville and Bridgman. Also, the Red Arrow Highway ramp to westbound I-94 at Bridgman (Exit 16) is closed with a detour posted.
- I-94, Kalamazoo County, has a traffic shift in place at 40th Street. All ramps at the interchange are closed with a detour posted.
- US-31, Berrien County, has one northbound lane closed over the St. Joseph River between Niles Buchanan Road and Walton Road.
- US-131, Allegan County, has one lane closed in each direction over Gun River. Also, the 106th Avenue ramp to northbound US-131 is closed with a detour posted.
- US-131, Kalamazoo County, has one lane closed in each direction between U Avenue and I-94 in Portage. Also, the Centre Avenue ramp to northbound US-131 is closed with a detour posted.
Central Michigan and Thumb
- I-69, Lapeer County, has one lane closed in each direction between Clark Road and Lake Pleasant Road.
- I-69, St. Clair County, will have one eastbound lane closed between M-19 and Taylor Road.
- I-75, Saginaw County, will have traffic shifted between Dixie Highway and Hess Road.
- M-18 in Beaverton, Midland County, has southbound traffic detoured.
- M-57 in Chesaning, Saginaw County, has one lane open over the Shiawassee River with a temporary signal.
- US-10, Clare County, has one lane open over Chippewa Creek with a temporary bridge.
- US-10 Business Route/M-20, Midland County, has one lane open in each direction over Saginaw Road and Waldo Road.
- US-23, Arenac County, has one lane open over the Au Gres River with a temporary signal.
- I-75, Monroe County, has two lanes open in each direction with a traffic shift between I-275 and Dixie Highway.
- I-96, Ingham County, has two lanes open in each direction with a traffic shift between US-127 and M-99.
- M-14 in Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, is closed between Main Street and the Miller Road/Maple Road interchange. A detour is posted.
- M-50/US-127 Business Route (West Avenue) in Jackson, Jackson County, is closed between Ganson Street and North Street with a detour posted.
- M-100 north of Potterville, Eaton County, has one lane open with a temporary signal near Billwood Highway."
- US-12 in Saline, Washtenaw County, has one westbound lane open between Maple Street and Monroe Street with eastbound traffic detoured.
- US-127, Ingham County, has the northbound auxiliary lane closed between Grand River Avenue and Lake Lansing Road.
Metro Detroit - Wayne County
- I-94 has all ramps at Trumbull Avenue, including the eastbound service drive, closed.
- I-96 will have one lane open in each direction at Evergreen Road.
- I-275 has all southbound lanes closed between the I-96/I-696 interchange and 5 Mile Road.
- M-1 Rail work in downtown Detroit continues, with lane and shoulder closures in each direction on M-1 (Woodward Avenue), I-75, and I-94.
- M-10 will have one lane open on the southbound service drive near Meyers and McNichols roads.
- M-53 has one lane open in each direction from the Red Run Drain to 18 Mile Road.