NewsLocal News

Actions

UPDATE: Name released of man arrested for alleged sexual assault and kidnapping

Posted: 12:20 PM, Oct 09, 2019
Updated: 2019-10-10 20:20:43-04
jackson man 10-10.jpg

JACKSON, Mich. — The ID of a man accused of raping and kidnapping a woman has been released by the Jackson County Sheriff's Department.

The sexual assault was reported to have taken place on October 8 in Summit Township.

Sheriff Steve Rand said in a press release, that a woman from Howell was "lured" to meet the suspect after connecting with him on a social networking site.

Investigators say the man is Najee Thompson, and on Thursday he was formally charged with first degree criminal sexual conduct and unlawful imprisonment.

Rand said that, "Just before 6:30 a.m. deputies were sent to the area of Overhill St. and Clark St. for numerous people reporting a women screaming for help."

He said upon arrival they found an 18-year-old woman who had been sexually assaulted.

He added that information that was left at the scene assisted in identifying the suspect.

They are reporting that after having alleged conversations, the man lured the woman to a location in Jackson and then forced the woman to drive to a location in Summit Township where the alleged sexual assault happened.

The investigation is ongoing.

Thompson is due back in court on November 8.

The Office of the Sheriff was assisted by the Michigan State Police along with their canine as well as the Jackson City Police in locating and apprehending the suspect at his address in the City of Jackson.

Want to see more local news ? Visit the FOX47News Website .

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android

and

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox.

Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook