LANSING, Mich. — The Library of Michigan has released its list of Michigan Notable Books for 2019.
The list includes 20 titles from 2018 throughout the state.
“This intriguing collection of books represents a spectrum of Michigan’s people, places and the history that makes our state unique,” Interim State Superintendent Sheila Alles said about this year’s list.
The list consists of books from the previous year written about or set in Michigan or the Great Lakes region or written by a Michigan author.
This year's list can be viewed below this story.
Previously named books have gone on to achieve fame after being on the list, according to the release.
"Bird Box," by Josh Malerman, was named in 2015 and now has been made into a Netflix original movie starring Sandra Bullock.
In 2010, "The Leisure Seeker," by Michael Zadoorian, was listed as a Michigan Notable Book and, in 2017, it was made into a film starring Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland.
The 2019 Michigan Notable Books (in alphabetical order):
- Abbott by Saladin Ahmed - Boom Studios
- Across the Great Lake by Lee Zacharias - University of Wisconsin Press
- Beautiful Music by Michael Zadoorian - Akashic Books
- Betty Ford: First Lady, Women's Advocate, Survivor, Trailblazer by Lisa McCubbin - Gallery Books/Simon & Schuster, Inc
- Building the Modern World: Albert Kahn in Detroit by Michael H. Hodges - Painted Turtle/Wayne State University Press
- Drum Roll, Please by Lisa Jenn Bigelow - Harper/HarperCollins Publishers
- Elemental: A Collection of Michigan Creative Nonfiction by Anne-Marie Oomen, Editor- Wayne State University Press
- Faygo Book by Joe Grimm - Painted Turtle/Wayne State University Press
- Hard Stuff: Dope, Crime, the MC5 & My Life of Impossibilities by Wayne Kramer - Da Capo Press
- Lake Michigan Mermaid: A Tale in Poems by Linda Nemec Foster and Anne-Marie Oomen - Wayne State University Press
- Manoomin: The Story of Wild Rice in Michigan by Barbara J. Barton - Michigan State University Press
- Nature's Friend: The Gwen Frostic Story by Lindsey McDivitt - Sleeping Bear Press
- Notes from a Public Typewriter by Michael Gustafson, Editor and Oliver Uberti, Designer - Grand Central Publishing
- The Page Fence Giants: A History of Black Baseball's Pioneering Champions by Mitch Lutzke - McFarland & Company, Inc
- The Poisoned City: Flint's Water and the American Urban Tragedy by Anna Clark - Metropolitan Books, Henry Holt and Company
- The Russian Five: A Story of Espionage, Defection, Bribery and Courage, by Keith Gave- Gold Star Publishing
- Sister Pie: The Recipes & Stories of a Big-Hearted Bakery in Detroit by Lisa Ludwinski - Lorena Jones Books/Ten Speed Press
- So Tall Within: Sojourner Truth's Long Walk Toward Freedom by Gary D. Schmidt - Roaring Brook Press
- The Truth Lies Here by Lindsey Klingele - HarperTeen/HarperCollins Publishers
- What the Eyes Don't See: A Story of Crisis, Resistance, and Hope in an American City by Mona Hanna-Attisha - One World/Random House