Actions

Lansing Mayor says deadly fire at townhouses was not due to code violations

Posted: 2:07 PM, Jun 28, 2018
Updated: 2018-06-28 18:07:18Z

On Thursday, June 28, Lansing mayor, Andy Schor, released a statement on the findings from a fire investigation report on the deadly fire at the LaRoy Froh Townshouses in Lansing.

Schor said in the statement that based on the fire investigation report, code inspections would not have prevented the fire due to the fact that the fire was in the wall.

He said, "Our understanding is that electrical inspection is being done by the insurance company for the Lansing Housing Commission (LHC), and that is not yet complete."

The City of Lansing is still in the process of inspecting all LHC properties along with the LaRoy Froh inspections.

On June 11, Lansing Mayor Andy Schor held a media conference at City Hall to address the issues surrounding the fatal fire at LaRoy Froh Townhouses

The fire claimed the lives of a mother and her five-year-old son on June 7.

The LaRoy Froh Townhouses are city managed. Schor said that Monday that the apartments were not in compliance but were "deemed safe to live in."

He told FOX 47 that they were last inspected in 2016.

The Lansing Fire Department says they got the call at 4:27 a.m. on June 7 and arrived at the LaRoy Froh Townhomes located at 2436 Reo Road by 4:30 a.m. to heavy smoke and fire conditions.

They said upon arrival there were two people located in the apartment upstairs. Firefighters confirmed to FOX 47 that a 43-year-old woman, Tarshrikia Beasley and her 5-year-old son, Elijah Brown were inside the apartment when the fire started. Their bodies were found on the second floor. Both of them were transported to Sparrow Hospital where they were pronounced dead.

They say the fire was confined to the kitchen, however there was heavy smoke and soot throughout the house. Firefighters confirmed with FOX 47 that windows and smoke detectors in the home were operational.

At the press conference it was reported that the apartment where the fire was contained, was not up to code, however, it had passed HUD but not a city inspection, so it was technically okay to live in.