Shots were fired in six different incidents on Monday and Tuesday in Kalamazoo and three times people were hit, creating a challenge for the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety investigators.
Some houses with people inside were struck by bullets, and in one case a vehicle was hit by gunfire.
In a release, KDPS described how it has been difficult to either locate witnesses or get cooperation.
If you know anything about these cases, call KDPS Criminal Investigations Division at 269-337-8139 or anonymously leave tips with Silent Observer online or by phone at 269-343-2100. (The KDPS release said there were six shootings in two days, but they only described the five cases here:)
- Monday, June 15, 2:55 p.m., 1800 block of Vanzee St., three different firearms used gunfire that hit a house. It’s not known if the house was the target. KDPS obtained images of a suspect and suspect vehicles.
- Monday, June 15, 7:58 p.m., in the area of Hawley and North Street, officers found five bullet casings from two firearms, but apparently no people or homes were hit.
- Monday, June 15, 10:54 p.m., 800 block of E. Stockbridge Ave., two firearms used in a shooting where police found 11 bullet casings. Witnesses say two men got out of an older dark-colored Chevrolet Trailblazer and fired rounds, though it’s unknown what they were shooting at. One person was shot, but the victim is not cooperating with police.
- Tuesday, June 16, 7:57 p.m., 1800 block of Vanzee St., in the same area as one of Monday’s shootings, officers were called to the area and determined there had been a shooting where shots were fired at a man, 22, standing on the sidewalk. Then a victim with a gunshot wound appeared at Bronson Hospital. That man remains in critical but stable condition. One woman was arrested for tampering with evidence at the scene of the shooting, and a search warrant was executed at a house where a handgun and shell casings were found. Police obtained a picture of the driveby vehicle.
- Tuesday, June 16, 9:30 p.m., near the intersection of Frank Street and N. Burdick Street, police found 17 shell casings, spoke with witnesses, and obtained a video that shows a man leaning out of the window of a light colored car and shooting at a dark colored car. A vehicle nearby with parked with someone inside was hit by a bullet, but the occupant wasn’t hurt.