Many local fire departments want to make sure you are prepared in the event of a fire.
Sunday marks the beginning of Fire Prevention Week, and with fire deaths on the rise in Michigan, firefighters are stressing its importance.
Last year, according to the U.S. Fire Administration, there were 79 fire fatalities. This year has already surpassed that number.
"This year alone in the state of Michigan we have had 93 fatalities in 63 fires," Dustin Hall of the Delta Township Fire Department said.
Firefighters say that there are some common culprits to blame when it comes to fires.
"In the state of Michigan, the leading cause for fires is unattended cooking fires, so the biggest thing we can do is watch our stove when we are cooking and obviously make sure we shut that off when we are done," Hall said.
But there are some things you can do to keep your family safe from a deadly fire.
"The biggest thing we have to keep in mind is our smoke detectors. Change those batteries, check those smoke detectors, and just be mindful around the house, teach the kids the emergency escape plans and practice them," Hall added.
Smoke detector batteries should be checked twice a year and tested each month.
Here is a list of some local fire department open houses:
- Benton Twp. Fire Dept. - Tuesday, October 9, 2018 from 6pm - 8pm at the fire station - 4713 N. Hartel Rd., Potterville, MI
- Grand Ledge Fire Dept. - Tuesday, October 9, 2018 from 6pm - 8pm - Grand Ledge Meijer - 730 E. Saginaw Hwy., Grand Ledge, MI
- Windsor Twp. Emergency Services - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 from 5pm - 8pm at the fire station - 300 W. Jefferson St., Dimondale, MI
- Delta Twp. Fire Dept. - Thursday, October 11, 2018 from 6pm - 8:30pm - Delta Twp. Fire Station #1 - 7710 W. Saginaw Hwy., Lansing, MI
- Potterville Fire Dept. - Thursday, October 11, 2018 from 6pm - 8pm at the fire station - 301-323 N Nelson St, Potterville, MI
- Hamlin Twp. Fire Dept. - Saturday, October 13, 2018 from 11am - 2pm at the fire station- 6463 S. Clinton Trl., Eaton Rapids, MI
- Olivet City Fire Dept. - Wednesday, October 31, 2018 from 6pm - 8pm at the first station - 117 East St., Olivet, MI