The Grand Rapids Promise Zone Authority is set to approve a scholarship for students living in Grand Rapids.
The board of directors is scheduled to meet at 10:30 a.m. Monday to approve the development plan for the creation of the Grand Rapids Promise Zone Scholarship.
The plan will give students starting with the class of 2020 the opportunity to earn a certificate or associates degree from Grand Rapids Community College tuition-free. The scholarship will also cover books, supplies and fees related to their classes.
Students eligibility is based on which Grand Rapids school they graduated from, along with length of attendance, and residency. Students who started in 9th and 10th grade are eligible for 100% of their tuition covered, students who started in 11th grade are eligible for 50% of their tuition paid for and student's who started in 12th grade are not eligible for the scholarship.
Schools eligible for the scholarship are
- Grand Rapids City High School
- Grand Rapids University Prep
- Innovation Central High School
- Ottawa Hills High School
- Union High School
- Grand Rapids Montessori High School
- C.A. Frost Environmental Science Academy
- Grand Rapids Public Museum School
- Grand Rapids Learning Center
- Lake Michigan Academy
- Southwest Community Campus High School
- Grand Rapids Catholic Central High School
- Sacred Heart Academy High School
- Grand Rapids Christian High School
- West Catholic High School
- Grand Rapids Adventist Academy
- Wellspring Preparatory High School
- Hope Academy of West Michigan
- Grand Rapids Covenant House Academy
- NorthPointe Christian High School
- Plymouth Christian High School
- Southeast career Pathways
The meeting will be held at 10:30 a.m. at the Grand Rapids Public Schools administration building auditorium.