HICKORY CORNERS, Mich. — The Gilmore Car Museum—North America’s Largest Auto Museum—re-opens to the public on Friday June 12, 2020 following a three-month state-mandated closure as part of the effort to contain the spread of COVID-19.
“We are so excited to welcome everyone back,” exclaimed Jeff Romig, Museum President. “So much has happened in three months it feels more like three years!”
Guests are sure to notice several new procedures, all mandated by the State of Michigan, and geared toward the Museum’s top priority of assuring the health and safety of their employees, volunteers and visitors.
- Face masks required for everyone inside buildings and highly encouraged within the Museum’s 90-acre historic campus
- Strict Social Distancing
- Temporary postponement of all hands-on, educational actives such as free antique car rides and the ever-popular Model T Driving Experience
- Reduced attendance capacity
Romig explained that while some may question the new procedures, they are all State required conditions to being allowed to re-open and begin working towards returning to regular operations.
“I’m confident that as much as everyone is ready to get out of the house and enjoy the car hobby, our quests will do their part to keep everyone safe while renewing old acquaintances and enjoying all that the museum has to offer.”
While so much in the world has taken place during the past several months the Museum has also seen many exciting new developments:
- The Horseless Carriage Club of America has announced its intent to build its museum facility on the Gilmore campus
- A 1902 Thomas—regarded as the finest preserved, 100% unrestored original pre-1905 automobile in existence—has been donated to the Gilmore
- The all-new exhibit, LEGENDARY PACKARD – From Lightbulbs to Luxury Automobiles, showcases 20 of the finest examples, including one of the oldest known Packards and coach-built master pieces
- Our staff has worked hard to adjust and condense the Museum’s typically aggressive car show schedule. All updates appear at GilmoreCarMuseum.org and social media.
“The Gilmore Car Museum is committed to the health and safety of everyone who visits—our guests, volunteers and staff,” states Museum Curator, Jay Follis, “and we are very excited about the upcoming season and the opportunity to welcome everyone back!”
The Gilmore Car Museum near Kalamazoo, MI displays nearly 400 vehicles year-round, offers amazing special exhibits and a variety of great events. Your trip begins at www.GilmoreCarMuseum.org [gilmorecarmuseum.org].
Want to see more local news ? Visit the FOX47News Website.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Download our free app for Appleand Android
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox.
Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.