Funeral today for fallen Detroit police officer Fadi Shakur

Posted at 5:23 AM, Aug 20, 2018
and last updated 2018-08-20 08:09:34-04

Friends and family will gather on Monday to remember fallen Detroit Police Officer Fadi Shakur. Shakur died on Wednesday after being injured in a hit-and-run earlier this month.

The funeral will happen at the St. George Chaldean Catholic Church on Dequindre Rd. near M-59.

On August 4 around 2:40 a.m., Detroit police were called to assist with crowd control in the area of West McNichols near Stahelin Street. Reports say Shukur was walking to his scout car when 19-year-old Jonathan David Cole hit the officer with his Jeep Liberty. 

Cole sped off from the scene but later turned himself in at a Detroit Police precinct. 

Cole has been charged with reckless driving and failure to stop at the scene of an accident. He was arraigned Tuesday morning. Cole received a $150,000 cash bond and ordered to have no contact with any witness including his parents. 

According to Police Chief James Craig, they expected the charges to be upgraded to murder.

“A lot of pain associated with this, it’s always tough,” said Craig. 

“We’ll have the funeral arraignments shortly but today everybody’s heart is broken in this city for a good man, a newlywed, and I know the family knows that our hearts are with them,” said Mayor Mike Duggan. 

Prosecutors painted a picture of a monstrous criminal. They asked the judge to set bond at $250,000 cash, saying Cole is a flight risk since he allegedly fled the scene of the hit and run.

But the judge set bond at $150,000 cash.

Prosecutors say a witness told them Cole knew exactly what he was doing.

“Despite being told by a passenger the vehicle about the presence of a pedestrian of the roadway, Mr. Cole did not brake at all, did not swerve, that statement by the witness was corroborated by surveillance video capturing that incident on camera,” Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Barbara Lanning explained.

Even though Cole turned himself in, Lanning says it was only after he destroyed evidence, with the help of his mother and father. Prosecutors also accuse him of drinking before the incident.

“Only turned himself in after-hours after flushing alcohol out of his system by drinking water and apple cider vinegar,” Lanning added.