Former CMU student with severe peanut allergy hazed with peanut butter

Posted at 8:21 AM, Mar 02, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-02 09:06:25-05

An investigation is underway in Mount Pleasant after a woman says her son who suffers from a peanut allergy was hazed with peanut butter while attending Central Michigan University.

Teresa Seely says another student smeared peanut butter on her 19-year old son's face while he was passed at in a fraternity house located off campus. The incident happened last October, but Seely says her son Andrew just told his family about it this week. She went public and posted a picture of her son's face on her Facebook page. Seely says Andrew could have died and is lucky to be alive. He was treated at a campus health clinic.

Central Michigan University officials are investigating and told WDIV, "We really take these things seriously, and when we learned of this, we responded immediately," CMU spokesperson Heather Smith said.

The fraternity Alpha Chi Rho, was banned from official recognition for hazing incidents in 2011. The student who smeared the peanut butter on Andrew's face told WDIV it was just a joke, a harmless prank. "It was just a joke trying to be funny and put it on his face," the student said. "We didn't know he was allergic. It was just college students being kids."

Seely says her son is no longer at Central Michigan University. He transferred to another school after just one semester. CMU officials say the students involved in the peanut butter incident could face suspension, or expulsion.