EAST LANSING, Mich. — Consumers Energy says it has taken extra measures to fix a ruptured gas line in East Lansing after a scare in the town on Tuesday.
People who live between Snyder Avenue and Wayland Road off Hagadorn were sent an alert just after 9:30 this morning about a gas leak.
The alert said to “close doors and windows," as well as "shelter in place" due to a gas leak.
It turns out that the Board of Water and Light was in the area at the time installing a pole and hit the Consumers line.
Consumers Energy officials say the fixed pipe will now work better than it did before the break.
Terry DeDoes, Consumers Energy spokesman said, "They're doing a process called electrofusing at this moment to make the repair, and that section will be actually stronger than the pipe line was before it was damaged."
The escaping gas did not get into any homes and the all clear was issued at 11:30 a.m., just a couple of hours later.
The BWL was able to finish installing the new pole on Snyder Street safely.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox.
Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.