NewsLocal News

Actions

Fire now out at local Inn

Posted at 6:54 PM, Aug 26, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-26 21:01:34-04

LANSING, Mich. — Nearly one dozen people are without a home after a fire shutdown a local motel.

Multiple responders were sent to Heb's Inn Motel on Cedar St. in Mason just before 2 p.m. on Monday.

Officials told us that the fire was an electrical fire that started in the basement at the electrical panel.

When firefighters arrived they told us that they could see smoke coming out of both floors.

Chief Kerry Minshall of Mason said a maintenance worker was working on something electrical when the fire started.

"I know it looks good outside right now," he said, "but there's a lot of damage inside the first floor."

Fox 47 also spoke with a woman who lives behind the motel.

"We even tried calling code compliance and left a voicemail three days ago because he's up there with no permits building things. Like I have a 2-year-old back here, so what if he was back here and my son got hurt, I'm just supposed to ignore that? Like it doesn't work like that," Alyssa Kennedy-Kemp, a Mason resident said.

Fox 47 reached out to the fire chief who said the work did not require a permit because it was on something that already exists. He called the incident an "unfortunate accident."

The fire was out by 2:45 p.m.

Delhi Township and City of Mason fire responded and there were about 30 firefighters on scene.

The American Red Cross is also helping the people who were staying at the motel and have no place else to go.

Want to see more local news ? Visit the FOX47News Website.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android

and

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox.

Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook