News

Actions

Fire breaks out at home in Mason

Posted at 7:47 AM, Jan 09, 2017
and last updated 2017-01-09 08:24:54-05

A fire broke out at a home in Mason. It happened on West Elm Street just after 9:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Firefighters were called to the house with reports of a chimney fire, but when they arrived, they found the basement engulfed in flames. Authorities say a wood burning stove was the cause.

"People are either overusing their heat or really taxing their heating systems to try and stay warm, so that's these events happen," said Kerry Minshall, Mason fire chief.

The house suffered heavy smoke damage and the family that lives there was forced out for the night. No one was injured.