NewsLocal News

Actions

UPDATE: East Lansing Superintendent said threat was directed at North Carolina school

Web_Promo_Image_960x720.png
Posted at 11:27 AM, Oct 01, 2019
and last updated 2019-10-02 19:17:06-04

LANSING, Mich. — East Lansing Public Schools officials said the high school reopened Wednesday after it was closed Tuesday because of a threat that was appeared to be directed at the school.

After more investigation, East Lansing Superintendent Dori Leyko said it was deemed that the email communication was not intended for East Lansing High School administrators and that no threat had been made to East Lansing High School.

The superintendent said through assistance from the FBI, it was able to be determined that the email came from an address in North Carolina. The superintendent said through additional exploration and further communication with the anonymous sender of the email, it was determined and confirmed that the email communication was intended for a high school in North Carolina with the acronym "ELHS" and not East Lansing High School.

The superintendent said they have been in communication with law enforcement and the school district administrators in North Carolina to confirm they were dealing with a school threat.

East Lansing Deputy Police Chief, Steve Gonzalez, confirmed that the email the school received was actually meant for a different school district with the same initials, and that the email came from a tipster in North Carolina.

Gonzalez added that the tipster was tracked down by the FBI, but at this time no arrests or charges have been made.

“There was no ill intent against our schools,” Gonzalez said.

Leyko had said early in the morning on Tuesday that East Lansing High School administrators received an email from an anonymous sender of a student who threatened to shoot up the school on Tuesday.

The superintendent said they immediately communicated with the East Lansing Police Department and, in the best interest of student safety, decided to close the school while conducting the investigation.

The superintendent said the threat was specific to the high school so they elected to keep the rest of the district buildings open.

The email warned officials about a school threat the sender became aware of.

“We always err on the side of caution with these types of things,” Gonzalez aid. “We don’t want to overreact, but we certainly don’t want to under react as well.”

The superintendent said there was counselors and social workers on hand Wednesday for any students who may need support and said to reach out to building administrators if you or your child needs assistance.

For information regarding how to talk to children about difficult topics such as this click here.

Want to see more local news ? Visit the FOX47News Website.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android

and

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox.

Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook