East Lansing police respond to three gun-related incidents over weekend

Posted at 12:42 PM, Oct 25, 2016
and last updated 2016-10-25 17:59:55-04

The East Lansing Police Department responded to three gun-related incidents over the weekend, and one involved the suspect shooting a gun where two bullets entered a home while the residents slept.

The East Lansing Police Department reports that two of the incidents happened around 3 a.m. Saturday.

The first incident involved a report of a man walking down the street in the area of Hillcrest and Elm with a long gun. When officers arrived, they located the subject still in possession of the weapon.

When the suspect saw police, he dropped the gun and tried to flee.

The suspect, an MSU student from Troy, was arrested for disorderly conduct and the weapon was determined to be a pellet gun.

Roughly 20 minutes later, police were dispatched to the area of Burcham Drive and Berkshire Lane for a report of a subject actively shooting a gun.

Police located the suspect, 23-year-old Alec Freeman Keller of East Lansing, near the Snyder and Cornell intersection.

According to the department, when officers searched Keller, they found a loaded .45 caliber handgun and multiple magazines. He was taken into custody.

It was determined, police say, that Keller had fired multiple rounds in multiple locations, including the 600 block of Cornell Avenue and the 500 block of Bailey Street. On Bailey Street, at least two rounds entered a home while the residents were sleeping.

Keller was charged with:

1) Discharging a firearm at a dwelling – 10-year felony
2) Carrying a concealed weapon – five-year felony
3) Felony firearms – two-year felony
4) Possession of a firearm while intoxicated – 93-day misdemeanor

On Sunday, around 2 a.m., officers were dispatched to the 2500 block of Abbot Road for a report of shots fired. According to witnesses, the suspect with the gun initially fired one round into the air after a fight had ensued.

Police say, the suspect was then chased by a group of people, and then fired four to five more times.

The suspect is described as a black male, approximately 6-feet tall and 20 to 22 years old.

He fled the scene with a white male, in his late 20s, approximately 5’5” tall with tattoos on his neck and possibly wearing saggy grey sweatpants and a grey shirt.

It is possible they fled the scene in a black vehicle.

The suspect has not been located at this time, police say, and no injuries were reported. The investigation continues.