Meridian Township will have designated cooling centers over the weekend during their Celebrate Meridian Event.
The heat index this weekend is reading from 95 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
The Town Hall located at 5151 Marsh Road is a designated cooling center during the event from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and the Meridian Mall will be available for cooling off from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on June 30.
“With heat indexes reaching into the 90’s, prolonged exposure could be dangerous. We want residents to be aware of designated Cooling Centers to escape from the heat,” stated Assistant Chief of Police Ken Plaga.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention lists these ways to stay cool during hot, hot temperatures:
• Wear loose fitting and lightweight clothing.
• Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids.
• Limit outdoor activity and move to indoor locations with air conditioning.
• Cut down on exercising during the heat.
• Do not leave children and pets in cars.
• Avoid hot and heavy meals.
• Walk your dog on the grass if possible.
“We are working hard to provide additional shade, fans, misting stations, water stations, and air-conditioned baby changing stations and nursing area, and water sprinklers for the 'Celebrate' event. We want everyone to be safe while enjoying the festival,” stated Director of Parks and Recreation LuAnn Maisner.