NewsLocal News

Actions

Catholic church investigation leads to death threats

Posted: 9:21 AM, May 10, 2019
Updated: 2019-05-10 13:21:30Z
Roman Catholic Priest

LANSING, Mich. — The state's ongoing investigation into Catholic clergy abuse has led to death threats against Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel, an AG official said.

Earlier this week, Nessel posted a picture on social media showing volunteers within the AG's office looking over thousands of documents connected to the investigation.

Many of the documents being reviewed were seized during raids on Michigan's seven Catholic dioceses last fall.

Spokeswoman Kelly Rossman-McKinney wouldn't say how the AG responded to the threats but that the threats are being taken seriously.

"We are confident that once people see action coming out of the investigation that some of that will tamp down a little bit," Rossman-McKinney said.

Nessel took over the investigation into sexual abuse complaints within the Catholic Church and the church's handling of the complaints.

Rossman-McKinney says the AG's Office will be in a position to announce charges related to the investigation "soon."

She wouldn't say if priests or diocese officials will be charged and refused to identify the dioceses.

Nessel says the investigation is expected to last roughly two years and there be could more than 1,000 victims.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android

and

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox.

Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook