News

Actions

Be safe, prepared for the cold weather coming

Posted: 12:20 PM, Oct 19, 2016
Updated: 2016-10-19 12:20:21-04

As the weather is beginning to feel like fall, it is a good idea to protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning as the cold approaches, and the heaters come on.

With Oct 17 through the 24 as Carbon Monoxide Safety and Awareness Week in Michigan, the Department of Health and Human Services wants to remind residents to be safe, and informed on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Carbon monoxide is difficult to detect and potentially deadly, however, carbon monoxide poisoning is completely preventable,” said Dr. Eden Wells, chief medical executive at MDHHS. “Now is the time to ensure that furnaces and water heaters are working properly, and that carbon monoxide detectors are installed and have fresh batteries. If you suspect you have been exposed to carbon monoxide, leave the area immediately and seek medical attention.”

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that kills more than 500 Americans each year, states a press release from the MDHHS.

The  gas is produced by all fuel-burning devices, and faulty furnaces and water heaters are common causes of poisoning, the release states.

Warning signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning include flue-like symptoms like headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness and confusion.

To reduce the risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning, here are a few tips from the MDHHS:

Never use generators, grills, camp stoves, or other fuel-burning devices inside your home, basement, or garage.
If you use a generator, be sure it is located outside at least 25 feet away from your home.

Park your car outside while it is warming, never in the garage. Running a car in an enclosed garage can create deadly levels of carbon monoxide in minutes.

For more information, click here.