LESLIE, Mich. — Leslie police have confirmed that one of their officers, Sgt. Evan Benehoff, saved three children and their mother from a house fire that broke out in the 200 block of Butler St. in Leslie.
Leslie, Mason, and Onondaga Fire Departments were on the scene as well as the Leslie Police Department and the Ingham County Sheriff’s Office.
Smoke was the primary danger while the family was inside, reducing visibility, cutting off oxygen in the home and coming out of the doorway so much that it could not be used. To rescue the family Sgt. Benehoff had to get creative, pulling them out through a window.
The children and their mother were taken to the hospital as a result of smoke inhalation, but are expected to recover.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.