News

Actions

Fireworks in garbage spark fire that damages two Sterling Heights's homes

Posted at 9:35 PM, Jul 05, 2017
and last updated 2017-07-06 14:11:33-04

A July 4th celebration, turned into a fiery disaster for neighbors on Vera Court in Sterling Heights.

The side of Niran Khalil's family home melted, but the main destruction was next door. Video on social media shows a ball of fire, ruining the garage and a few other rooms inside.

In the house next door to the fire, six kids, and five adults including a teenager confined to a wheelchair with Cerebral Palsy.

Sterling Heights firefighters say the homeowners threw the fireworks away in the garbage, which later erupted in flames.

A cautionary tale of what not do to, especially when folks still will be lighting up fireworks in the coming days.

We're told the fire caused more than $150,000 in damage.

Firefighters say to throw away any remnants of fireworks in a bucket filled with water a good distance away from your house.

They say thankfully in this case, everyone walked away with no injuries.