DTE Energy is warning customers following recent 'utility imposter' attempts in Eastpointe and Monroe.
The imposters claim to be utility workers in order to gain access to the homes.
DTE Energy says customers should not let any unidentified workers into their homes.
The following tips have been released in an effort to help customers avoid these scam artists:
At the Door
Ask for identification. All DTE Electric and DTE Gas employees and contractors carry photo identification badges, and are required to display their badge if asked.
If you are unsure about an employee's identification, or want to verify the nature of the work to be done at your home, call us at 800.477.4747.
Do not allow people into your home who:
· Claim to offer a DTE Electric or DTE Gas refund. Our employees never deliver cash refunds or rebates to customers' homes.
· Claim to sell DTE Electric or DTE Gas products or services. DTE employees do not engage in door-to-door sales.
· Attempt to collect a bill payment. DTE does not collect or accept utility bill payments at customers' homes or businesses.
DTE encourages customers to call the police if you believe the person at your door is a con artist
posing as a utility worker.
On the Phone
· Ask for identification. Pull out your most recent DTE Energy bill and ask the caller to tell you the account number and the amount due.
· If you have caller I.D., the display will indicate that the call is from DTE Energy. If you suspect the call may be fraudulent, hang up and call us toll-free at 800.477.4747. Ask to be connected to a customer service representative who can confirm the status of your account and make appropriate arrangements for payment, if needed. If you have received a call of this nature and believe you are the victim of fraud, contact your local police immediately.
On the Web
· The web is increasingly being used to commit fraud and identity theft. Scammers use e-mail, text messaging and social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter.
· Never give out personal information, including Social Security, bank account or credit card numbers over the Internet to someone you do not know.
· If you suspect you have been fraudulently contacted, call us at 800.477.4747 to speak with a customer service representative who can confirm the status of your account and make appropriate arrangements for payment, if needed.