There are new concerns about heavy metals in baby food.
Consumer Reports tested samples of 50 products for things like lead, cadmium and arsenic. Sixty-eight percent had levels of at least one metal considered worrisome.
Additionally, organic foods were as likely to contain heavy metals as conventional foods.
Experts say the source could be natural or from contaminants. To reduce your child's risk, Consumer Reports' chief scientific officer says to make sure you're giving them a variety of foods.
Consumer Reports recommends restricting the following products to less than one serving a day:
- Earth's Best Organic Chicken & Brown Rice
- Earth's Best Turkey, Red Beans & Brown Rice
- Gerber Chicken & Rice
- Gerber Turkey & Rice
- Sprout Organic Baby Food Garden Vegetables Brown Rice With Turkey
- Gerber Lil' Meals White Turkey Stew With Rice & Vegetables
- Gerber Carrot, Pear & Blackberry
- Beech-Nut Classics Sweet Potatoes
- Happy Baby Organics Organic Probiotic Baby Cereal
- Baby Mum-Mum Banana Rice Rusks