1. Americans eat 17 billion quarts of popped popcorn per year, that's enough to fill the empire state building 18 times!
2. There's 31 calories and 0 grams of fat in a cup of air-popped popcorn! A large bucket of movie theater popcorn with butter has the fat and calorie equivalent of two Big Macs, around 1200 calories with 60 grams of fat.
3. Popcorn kernels can pop up to 3 feet high.
4. Unpopped kernels are called "old maids" or "spinsters."
5. Popped popcorn takes up 37 times as much space as unpopped.
6. The world's largest popcorn ball at the Indiana state fair was 6510 pounds, 8 feet in diameter.
7. Theaters started selling popcorn in 1912. The owners initially opposed it because they thought it would be a distraction, then they realized the snack can be more profitable than the flick!
8. The US is the number 1 popcorn producer in the world, and 34% of it is grown in Nebraska.
9. There are 2 popcorn museums in Ohio, featuring antique popcorn poppers , popcorn containers, and popcorn advertising.
10. Can't wait for your popcorn? 4 theaters in Kansas City are testing apps that will allow customers to bypass lines for popcorn by preordering from their phones.