- 1 pound of white chocolate, chopped
- 1 pound of bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 box of peppermint candy canes (11-12oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract* (divided)
- 1 teaspoon shortening (divided)
- Break up peppermint candy canes in a plastic bag, setting aside 1/4 of the pieces.
- Line a sheet pan with wax paper and set aside.
- Melt the bittersweet chocolate in microwave or on stove top using a double boiler until all pieces are smooth.
- Once chocolate is melted, place 1/2 teaspoon of shortening in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for a few seconds until melted. Add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and stir well. Then add peppermint shortening to melted chocolate and stir well.
- Pour onto the prepared sheet pan and spread evenly. Set aside (do not refrigerate) while you follow the same steps for melting the white chocolate, and prepare peppermint shortening with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of shortening and 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract.
- Add peppermint shortening into melted white chocolate, stir then and 3/4 of the crushed peppermint pieces.
- Spread the white chocolate gently over the dark chocolate layer using a spatula and spread to the edge of the pan.
- Immediately sprinkle the top with the remaining peppermint pieces.
- Allow peppermint bark to harden completely at room temperature before cutting/breaking into pieces. This will take several hours at room temperature. If you're in a hurry, you can place the pan of bark in the refrigerator for no longer than 20 minutes to harden. Once set, break bark apart into bite size pieces and serve or package into gifts.