Grace Derocha, registered dietitian, certified diabetes educator and health coach with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan joined us in studio to share some healthy tips and recipes for the new year.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tawook
· 1 Tbsp. allspice
· 2 tsp. oregano
· 1 tsp. kosher salt
· 1.5 tsp. garlic powder
· 1 tsp. cinnamon
· 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
· 1 cup plain, Greek yogurt
· 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
· 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
· 1-2 Tbsp. of heart healthy oil, olive or grapeseed
· Whole wheat pita pockets
· Serve with thinly sliced red onion, fresh parsley, diced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, plain Greek yogurt, hummus and kalamata olives
· Brown rice or quinoa
· Mixed greens
1. Place the yogurt and lemon juice in the bottom of a shallow baking dish. Add the allspice, oregano, salt, garlic powder, cinnamon, and cayenne and stir to combine.
2. Add the chicken breasts and gently turn to coat in the yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
3. Coat the bottom of a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray or use slow cooker bag. Add the chicken and all of the yogurt marinade and oil.
4. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
5. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl (discard the cooking liquid). Shred the chicken with two forks.
6. Serve the chicken tawook with brown rice/quinoa, or on top of a salad or in warmed pita bread with desired toppings. Enjoy!
For more health tips, recipes and information, visit www.AHealthierMichigan.org