Quick and Quinoa: Quinoa Egg Scramble
Lately it seems that I've become obsessed with super grain Quinoa, but I must admit I wasn't very adventurous with how I incorporated it into meals.
For the most part, I've just added lemon juice to it and served it with a piece of tilapia and veggies.
And honestly, I could and often do eat it straight, no chaser. It's just so yummy and odd and wonderful on its own.
This quest for finding ways to add quinoa into other meals, paired with my love of breakfast for dinner, led me to making a quinoa egg scramble.
What I love most about an egg scramble is that I can add in a ton of ingredients that I need to clear out of our refrigerator, and they always turn out great.
I used my Google-Fu to make sure I wasn't insane for adding quinoa to an egg scramble, and luckily there were several variations on the recipe.
So without further ado, here's my version:
Quinoa Egg Scramble
- One Cup Cooked Quinoa
- Six Eggs
- Fontina Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Cook quinoa according to directions. Set aside 1 Cup for recipe.
- Break six eggs into large bowl. Add cubed pieces of fontina cheese and pull proscuitto apart into small pieces. Add to eggs and scramble.
- Heat large skillet to medium-high, add olive oil and minced garlic.
- Add cup of cooked quinoa to skillet, stir well.
- Pour in egg mixture and push around with spatula, making sure it doesn't stick to edges of the pan and cooks evenly.
- Once scramble has firmed up, dish into two bowls.
Now this was done with what was in our refrigerator. For next time, I'm planning to add other ingredients like chopped onion (to be added to the skillet with the quinoa, olive oil, and garlic) and asparagus for texture, color, and flavor.
I think any combination works well for an egg scramble, but the benefit of adding in the quinoa makes the dish fluffier, heartier, and more filling.
Try it out sometime!