National League of Women Voters President to Rally Michigan Voters
· Elisabeth MacNamara, president, League of Women Voters of the United States (LWVUS)
· Susan Smith, president, League of Women Voters of Michigan (LWVMI)
· Jacqueline Morrison, state director, AARP Michigan
· Jocelyn Benson, director, Michigan Center for Election Law
· Amy Seetoo, co-program V.P., American Association of University Women (AAUW)
WHAT: MacNamara, Smith and others will speak as part of a Voter Registration Day rally in Michigan. MacNamara’s speech will focus on the importance of voting and the need for voters to find unbiased information to educate themselves about the issues and candidates.
The event is cosponsored by the LWVMI, AARP Michigan, AAUW, Coalition of Labor Union Women (CLUW), Michigan Center for Election Law, Michigan Election Reform Alliance (MERA), Michigan Nonprofit Association (MNA), Michigan State A. Philip Randolph Institute and the NAACP.
WHEN: Thursday, Sept. 27, 2012
12:00 p.m. Voter Registration Day begins
12:10 p.m. Elisabeth MacNamara, LWVUS, and Susan Smith, LWVMI, to speak
1:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Media Availability
WHERE: Capitol Lawn
WHY: The October 9 deadline for voter registration is fast approaching. The LWVMI is working diligently across the state to register and educate voters on the November 6 candidates and issues. Providing voters with accurate, unbiased information is critical as more money is being spent on elections than ever before.
The League of Women Voters of Michigan has almost 1,500 members and 19 local Leagues dedicated to providing nonpartisan, impartial information for voters to make the most informed decisions possible on Election Day.