Fire Destroys Home in Onondaga Township
A cooking accident started the fire that engulfed the home. Video by fox47news.comvideo
A cooking accident caused a fire that destroyed a house in Onondaga Township.
The husband and wife inside got out safely and are being taken care of by the Red Cross. The house is in a rural area with no fire hydrants, forcing six other departments to bring in water with their tanker trucks.
The Onondaga chief told us why the assistance presented its own challenges.
"This house can typically burn up 20 to 30 thousand gallons of water, and each one of them is only hauling about three thousand each time, so it takes quite a few rounds to get that kind of water out here this far," said Chief James Tow.
Firefighters also had to cut through part of a fence to get their trucks close to the house.
The owners told us it was built in the 70s. They didn't elaborate on what kind of cooking accident caused the fire.